Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Screw life, we're going to talk about a movie!

Or maybe a few movies.

My life has been too stressful.  So instead, let's discuss some really good and really bad movies to watch and to not watch, respectively.

First of all, if things are so bad that you need something horrific to watch in order to deal, especially in order to work through some anger, I highly recommend the following movie:

"The Descent"

It has gotten me through a great deal of stress.  It is very depressing in places, I admit.  But the main characters, and how they change into very strong, and yes, violent, people in order to survive... oh, man.  When you are very angry at your circumstances, sometimes it is just so nice to see the "victims" in the movie kick some serious asshole butt.

And this is also just one of those perfect movies that does the character building, and gets you all spooked and concerned, even before they pull all the stops out.  It's already intense before they even let the monsters come out to play.

It's good horror in the way that Alien is absolutely good horror.  It captures you.  It has a good plot.  It maintains believability.  The characters are engaging.  Just trust me and watch it, damn it.

"Paranormal Activity"

Excellent movie.  Watched it maybe 1 or 2 months ago.  Hard to watch in the sense that you want these people to get help, get the priests out and/or move, if it would help.  One character treats the experience like an experiment for most of the time.  The other one, who has more experience with this sort of thing in her past, is frustratingly mocked by the first character, who has no clue what he's playing with.

Don't watch it when your significant other is away on travel.  Or you'll be sleeping with the lights on.

"Paranormal Activity 2"

This was also an excellent movie.  But if you are a parent / dog owner and are going through a sensitive time, do NOT watch it.  There's nothing explicit, but that feeling of wanting to protect the child or the dog may make it too hard to watch.  For me, I ended up sitting there furious at the demon that was harassing the child and the dog.  And furious at the father, who had his head in the sand and was refusing to believe anything weird was happening.  And furious ... just furious.  Probably because my husband is on travel, and I have a toddler and 2 dogs.  And I was pissed off at being frightened and then feeling the need to sleep with the lights on, lol.  It was VERY hard not to wake up my toddler and make him sleep in bed with me.  But hey, he hadn't watched the movie.  He was sleeping peacefully, except for a sunburn I stupidly forgot to protect him from.  He didn't need me projecting my fear onto him.

So I let him sleep, and prayed alot of prayers to God for protection.

So, yeah, choose wisely when you watch it.  And if you are wiser still in realizing that maybe movies that touch on the occult are not a good thing to add to your life, then don't watch it.  I both enjoyed the movie, and regret watching it, you know?  Not sure God wanted me putting that movie into my memory banks.

Just like you shouldn't consume poison, and you shouldn't drink yourself stupid, there are ideas or memories you shouldn't intentionally put into your head, if you can help it.  Heh.  Call it "brain poison".

I guess "The Descent" might qualify as brain poison, I don't know.  So, take my movie advice with a grain of salt.


"Shaun of the Dead"

Fantastically funny movie.  It's so good I don't want to tell you anything and spoil it, lol.  Just watch it.  Trust me.  Probably the best movie to watch if you are down in the dumps but don't feel the need to get some anger out of your system.  It's the sort of dark comedy that will leave you feeling ironically better after you've watched it.

If it's brain poison... well... it's got to be one of the less damaging and sweeter ones, lol.

Ok, will come back with more movies that are helping to keep me sane, or less insane.  And the occasional one that will hurt more than help.

Anyway, yes, I'm still here.  Just having a hard time keeping my head above water.  As usual.  ;)

No comments: